Use current examples to explore the potential benefits of environmental big data
From weather fluctuations to the spread of an invasive species, what problems can scientists address by analysing these vast data collections? What are the potential benefits for business, research and our daily lives?
Find out about possible career paths and gain insights from industry experts and research scientists working on a range of current projects. From urban planning to monitoring wildlife, explore the complexities of managing and analysing big data to seek innovative solutions.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1: Introduction to big data
- Sources of big data, including satellites for looking at the surface of the Earth
- Environmental analytics and the link to big data
- Computing power, processing and storage for environmental data
Week 2: Data to Discovery
- Open data
- The challenges of working with data
- The skills and knowledge of a data scientist
Week 3: Big and Small Data
- Citizen science for climate simulation and ecology
- Real-life examples of environmental analytics
- Visualising data