Understand the importance of cultural diversity to the thriving city
Cities all over the world have embraced cultural and religious diversity, creating unique heritages. On this course you will investigate both ‘old’ and ‘new’ diversities in city heritage in four different continents.
You will look at cities with a divisive heritage (Bristol as a slave port) and a post-migration heritage (such as Cologne in Germany). You will will also look at major post-colonial urban centres and how they used cultural diversity to revitalise inner city areas. You will also consider those cities that turn diversity into a branding tool, like Singapore or Doha.
What topics will you cover?
- Contested heritage in cities
- Protecting, preserving and transforming a diverse cultural heritage
- Turning urban cultural diversity into an asset
- Labelling / Branding cities and their heritage
- Cultural city networks
- Cities as hubs for the creative economy