Why join the course?
The centenary of the First World War is a time for reflection and exploration. In this short course you will discover just some of the ways that heroism is portrayed through art and film.
You will explore recruitment posters and the messages they portrayed for both those going to war and those staying at home, as well as researching WW1 art and reflecting upon a painting you have chosen. You will then move on to explore contemporary German film, consolidating your learning by reviewing a recent book, film, or TV programme about the First World War.
What topics will you cover?
- Analysis of recruitment posters and the messages they portrayed for both those going to war and those staying at home
- Researching posters: use of words and images to invoke emotions about heroism
- World War 1: how ideas about heroism changed from 1914 onwards
- Heroism and film: exploring the differences between current images of World War 1 heroes in Germany, France, and Britain
- Film reviews: contrasting ways in which the meaning of World War 1 is constructed and debated in Germany today